Strawberries In Jelly With Creme Fraiche And Yoghurt
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
|2 punnets||Strawberries, 350g each, stalks removed|
|1 packet||Berry jelly crystals, strawberry flavour|
|100 g||Creme fraiche|
|200 g||Natural yoghurt, unsweetened|
|2 Tbsp||Vanilla syrup|
- Choose the best dozen strawberries and slice them neatly, keeping the rest aside for the purée.
- Dissolve the jelly crystals in a few tablespoons of boiling water, stirring well, then add enough water to make up to 600ml.
- Cool completely. Divide the sliced strawberries between 6 glasses.
- Pour over the jelly, then place the glasses in the refrigerator and allow to set. Meanwhile, combine the crème fraîche with the yoghurt, beating well.
- Place the remaining strawberries (keeping one or two aside to be finely chopped for decoration) in a food processor and process with the vanilla syrup until a soft purée forms.
- Once the jelly is set, add a thin layer of the creamy yoghurt mixture and top this with a layer of strawberry purée.
- Decorate with a little scattering of chopped strawberries and some chopped almond praline.
- Almond Praline: Put the sugar in a heavy-based saucepan with enough water to soak it. Place over a gentle heat and allow the sugar to melt. Watch it carefully and when the edges start to turn a slight golden colour, tip in the almonds. With a metal spoon, stir the almonds in the sugar as it turns to caramel toffee. When it is the colour of golden syrup, tip it onto a board lined with baking paper. Once the praline has cooled and set, chop it into small fragments and store in an airtight jar.