Venison with a Beetroot & Rasberry Sauce
( SERVES 4 )
This tender farm-raised venison with its sweet and tangy sauce - served with a variety of vegetables - is a sure-fire dinner party winner.
|½ cup||Red wine|
|½ cup||Beef stock, or beef juice|
|1||Beetroot, cooked, cut into 2cm cubes|
|3 Tbsp||Raspberry vinegar|
- To prepare kohlrabi, preheat oven to 200 degC.
- Toss kohlrabi with olive oil.
- Place in a roasting pan. Bake for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, until crisp.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Pat venison dry and season well with black pepper.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. Pan-fry medallions for about three minutes each side depending on thickness, until medium-rare.
- Remove to a warm plate and tent with foil.
- Add wine and jus (or stock) to pan and simmer for a few minutes.
- Add beetroot and vinegar and heat through.
- Thickly slice venison medallions and spoon a little of beetroot sauce over top.
- Great served with steamed spinach, topped with potato mash and garnished with crispy kohlrabi.