( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
|1 Tbsp||Caster sugar|
|1 cup||Plain flour|
|75 g||Butter, (cold)|
|1 Tbsp||Water, (cold)|
- Place flour, sugar and salt in food processor and combine. Whisk the egg yolk, water and lemon and set aside.
- Cube the butter and drop into the flour, pulse while adding the egg mixture. When pastry just begins to form a ball, stop and remove from bowl. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line a 20cm loose-base tart tin with pastry, rest for 30 minutes then cover with baking paper and dried beans and bake blind for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove beans and paper then brush pastry with egg white. Return pastry to the oven for 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, process the bread till fine crumbs form. Place crumbs in a mixing bowl then add treacle, syrup and lemon juice.
- Reduce oven to 180C. Spoon mixture into pastry shell and bake for 30 minutes. Serve with whipped cream.