Tomato & Coconut Sauce
|½ tsp||Mustard seeds|
|2 Tbsp||Canola oil|
|½ tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1||Onion, medium, diced|
|½ tsp||Chilli paste|
|3 cloves||Garlic, large, crushed|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh ginger, finely grated|
|400 g||Canned tomatoes, in juice, chopped|
|¾ cup||Coriander, roughly chopped|
|1 cup||Desiccated coconut, lightly toasted|
|1||Sugar, to taste|
|1 to taste||Salt|
- To make the sauce, heat the oil in a medium saucepan and add the cumin, mustard seeds and chilli.
- Fry for 20-30 seconds. Add the onion and half the garlic and ginger. Saute until the onion starts to brown.
- Add the tomatoes and juice. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid. Simmer for a further 15 minutes, until thick. Stir in the remaining garlic, ginger, coriander and coconut. Season.
- To prepare the fish, combine the spices and salt in a bowl. Dip the fish into the mixture to cover.
- Heat enough oil in a frying pan for shallow frying. Gently fry the fish for 4-5 minutes or until cooked.
- Drain on paper towels. Heat the sauce and place on a warm platter. Arrange the fish on top. Great garnished with fresh coriander leaves.