Roast Pork with Spices
- Preheat the oven to 170degC. Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan and cook the onions, until softened. Place the onions on the base of a shallow roasting pan.
- Combine the sugar, mustard, vinegar and brandy and pour over the onions. With the point of a sharp knife, cut deep slits in the pork. Insert the garlic slivers. Combine the cloves, cinnamon and pepper and rub over the pork.
- Place the pork on the onions. Roast the pork for about 1 1/2 hours, basting often.
- Remove to a warm platter and tent with foil. Rest for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the onions and juices in a saucepan, skimming off any excess fat. Add a little hot water, if preferred. Serve the sauce with the pork.