Mini Lamb Roast with Peppercorn Crust
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Cool.
- Pour the cold marinade over the lamb in a small roasting dish. Marinate in the refrigerator - turning occasionally - for 8 to 24 hours.
- Remove the lamb from the marinade and pat dry. Reserve the marinade. Sprinkle the lamb with salt and rub in well.
- Spread the mustard evenly over the lamb then pat in the peppercorns. Place in a roasting dish
- Preheat the oven to 200degC. Roast the lamb for 30-40 minutes (the meat will still be a little pink inside), or according to personal preference.
- Cover with foil and rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, strain the marinade into a saucepan. Add the lamb stock and honey. Simmer for about 15 minutes until reduced by about half.
- May be thickened, if preferred, with 2 tablespoons each of softened butter and flour mixed to a paste.
- Whisk small amounts of the paste into the simmering sauce, until thickened.
- Serve with roast vegetables such as pumpkin, kumara or potatoes.