Gambas con garbanzos (Spanish prawns with chickpeas)
( SERVES 4 )
Versions of this dish are served around the coast of Spain - including Taverna del Bisbe in Barcelona.
|2 Tbsp||Breadcrumbs, dried|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2||Red chillies, small, diced|
|2 Tbsp||Pine nuts|
|24||Prawns, large, raw, shelled and de-veined|
|1||Onion, medium, diced|
|1||Green capsicum, seeded and chopped|
|4||Tomatoes, peeled and diced|
|2 cans||Chickpeas, 420g each, drained and rinsed|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|¾ cup||Fish stock|
- Place the pine nuts in a non-stick frying pan and shake over low heat, until golden. Add the breadcrumbs and chilli peppers and heat for about 30 seconds. Remove and crush with a pestle and mortar. Place to one side.
- Heat the oil in the frying pan on medium heat. Saute the prawns for about 20 seconds each side. Place to one side.
- Add the onion and capsicum to the pan. Stir well. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for about five minutes. Add the chickpeas and fish stock. Cook for five minutes. Add a tablespoon or two of the ground pine nut mixture and cook for another five minutes.
- Add the prawns and heat through. Season