Kumara and chickpea fritters with smoked fish
- Peel the kumara, chop roughly and place in a pot with salted water to cover.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer until a piece breaks when pierced with a fork.
- While the kumara cooks, heat the olive oil and fry the chopped onion until soft, but not brown.
- Place in a bowl and add the drained chickpeas. Squash with a fork, leaving some whole but roughly mashing the rest.
- Drain the kumara, mash and let cool then add to chickpea mixture.
- Beat the eggs briefly with a fork, then add to the mixture with the curry powder, flour and breadcrumbs.
- Stir vigorously, then season to taste.
- Heat the vege oil and cook the mixture in spoonfuls , and shaping with a fork to form fritters about 8cm round and 1cm thick.
- Meanwhile, toss the fish in olive oil on medium heat to warm it through, then mix in Tabasco sauce.