Apple pies with a hint of tamarillo
These cheats' apple pies are made in two parts. All the cooking can be done in advance, then the pies assembled when you're ready to serve.
APPLE PIES WITH A HINT OF TAMARILLO
- Heat the oven to 200C. Cut 4 circles (use an apple-shaped cutter if you have one) from the pastry sheets.
- Place the circles on a baking tray and prick all over with a fork. Brush the circles with egg white and dust with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Place the apple and tamarillo in a saucepan with the water and the second measure of sugar and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add more sugar if desired. Spoon the hot fruit into small bowls or ramekins and top with a circle of pastry. Serve hot.