Mandarin Crème Brûlée, with Madeleines
Serve these DESSERTS with a plate of madeleines or sponge finger biscuits.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Grate the zest from the mandarins and set aside.
- Squeeze the juice into a small bowl. In a saucepan heat the cream with the zest, then simmer for 3 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Combine the egg yolks and 75g of caster sugar and beat until pale and creamy.
- Add the mandarin juice. Strain the hot cream and stir it into the yolk mixture.
- Return the custard to a low heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until it starts to thicken, whisking quickly when it does. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the custard is almost set, remove from the heat and pour it into the 4 ramekins.
- Stand the ramekins in a baking dish with enough water to come halfway up the sides.
- Put the dish into the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the oven, allow to cool, then refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Divide the second measure of sugar and sprinkle evenly over the top of each custard.
- Spray with a little water. Melt the sugar under a grill until it has caramelised to a rich golden brown.
- Alternatively, use a kitchen blowtorch to achieve the same effect.