Spring Minestrone Soup
( SERVES 4 )
- Cut the pancetta into small pieces and place in a deep saucepan with the butter and oil.
- Melt the butter over a medium heat. Rinse and slice the leeks into small chunks and stir into the melted butter and oil.
- Stir occasionally as they soften. Peel the carrots and potatoes and cut into large dice. Stir into the leeks and lower the heat.
- Slowly cook until the vegetables have softened but are without colour.
- Peel and crush the garlic and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Stir them into the soup, then add the water and passata.
- If you are using a ham bone, add it to the saucepan now.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, cover with a lid that's slightly askew to allow steam to escape, and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add the broad beans, peas and cabbage. Roughly chop the parsley, add to the saucepan and shy cook for 15 minutes. Serve with grated parmesan.