Chicken and avocado salad
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
A simple and nutricious chicken salad for warmer weather, perfect for entree or a light lunch.
|4||Chicken breasts, boned|
|2 Tbsp||Oil, lightly flavoured (grapeseed or avocado)|
|3 slices||Bread, thick ones|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 cups||Salad leaves|
|1 cup||Peas, fresh or frozen, blanched|
|½ cup||Mint leaves, fresh|
- Season the chicken with lemon zest, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the light oil in a heavy-based frying pan and add the chicken pieces. Cook over a low heat for 5-6 minutes on each side until the meat is cooked through but still moist. Put the chicken aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Tear the bread into small pieces and toss into a small roasting pan with the olive oil and butter, turning so all sides are well-coated. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and crunchy.
- To prepare the other ingredients, wash and dry the salad leaves and place in a bowl. Slice the avocados carefully, then add to the bowl with the peas and mint.
- Slice the chicken and add to the salad.
- Make the dressing by whisking the ingredients together.
- Pour over the salad, then mix everything together very gently so the avocado does not break up. Arrange on a serving plate and serve immediately as an entrée or luncheon dish.