Cinnamon and cardamom cookies
( SERVES 10 )
These cookies are light and crunchy, perfect to accompany a cup of tea. Take care handling the dough, as it is extremely soft and friable.
|225 g||Unsalted butter|
|1½ tsp||Baking powder|
|300 g||High grade flour|
|1 tsp||Ground cinnamon|
|1 tsp||Ground cardamom|
|1 Tbsp||Dark rum|
- Heat the oven to 170C.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg with the rum, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt, and fold into the mixture. Knead the mixture gently on a floured board and roll out to form a rectangle about 1cm thick.
- Use cookie cutters or a sharp knife to cut into biscuit shapes. Place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and brush the tops with the beaten egg whites.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle generously over the biscuits.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and store in an airtight container. Makes 30-40 cookies.