Salmon in white miso, ruby grapefruit and ginger with black sesame cucumber
We bought everything for these recipes from the Japanese section of my local supermarket. If I’m seeking a hard-to-find ingredient, the supermarket manager will source almost anything within a day or two. It certainly pays to ask. Here’s an explanation of the ingredients in this week’s recipes.
- White miso: a fermented paste of soy beans and rice or barley. Fine-textured and sweet, miso is ideal for soups, marinades and dressings. There are many varieties, and when “white miso” appears in a recipe you should seek a light-yellow miso rather than the dark-brown one.
- Sake: an alcoholic drink made from rice, sake is used in cooking and also as a beverage. It can range from simple, inexpensive liquor to a highly sought-after connoisseur’s drink. Use sake in small quantities.
- Black sesame seeds: they have a much earthier flavour than the white ones. Suitable for garnishes and for adding subtle flavour
- Sushi vinegar: a clear vinegar made from rice. It is slightly sweeter and lighter than most Western-style vinegars.
|400 g||Salmon, (2 fillets), skin on|
|4 pinches||Sea salt|
|1||Lemon, zested and juiced|
|1||Lemon, sliced for garnish|
|3 sprigs||Fresh coriander|
|200 ml||Vinegar, sushi|
|1||Telegraph cucumber, seeded and sliced|
|1 piece||Ginger, 10cm, grated and the juice squeezed out|
|200 g||White miso paste, sweet|
|2 Tbsp||Black sesame seeds|
- Combine the miso paste, the pulp and juice of the grapefruit, the ginger juice, the lemon zest and juice and the sake to form a wet-textured marinade.
- Marinate the fillets for 3-4 hours.
- Combine the cucumber and sea salt in a small bowl and leave to stand for about 10 minutes.
- The cucumber will soften and juice will come out. Gently wash off the excess salt and discard the juice.
- Pour over the vinegar and sesame seeds, then mix in the coriander.
- When ready to serve, cook the salmon under a preheated grill (or over the charcoal grill) for about 8 minutes or until the miso begins to caramelise on the edges.
- Serve warm with the pickled cucumber and the lemon slices.