Smoked Salmon with Cucumber, Peas and Wasabi Crème Fraîche
I have a bit of a thing for cold, fresh peas. They are a summer ingredient that I use whenever possible, most often with the cooling juiciness of a cucumber. On a hot day there is much to be gained from a delicate vegetable that is 90% water. That said, the salad that follows is perked up by the gentle heat of the wasabi-spiked crème fraîche.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Cook the peas for 3-4 minutes, then drain through a colander and refresh under cold running water.
- Trim and finely chop the whites of the spring onions.
- Finely chop the garlic. Tip the peas into a bowl and toss with the spring onions and garlic, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Peel the cucumber, cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds using a teaspoon.
- Slice the cucumber into 2cm chunks and add to the peas with the lemon zest, juice and oil. Season with a little salt and toss through the cucumber and peas.
- In a bowl thoroughly mix the crème fraîche, wasabi powder and a pinch of salt, then set aside.
- Divide the salad between the serving plates. Pull the salmon into rough flakes, pile on top of the salad and finish with a spoonful of crème fraiche.