Turnips with sake and chinese sausage
( SERVES 4 )
- Remove the leaves from the turnips, peel and set to one side.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan and add the turnips. Lightly toss together, then add the sugar and cook until you have a light gold caramel.
- Pour in the sake and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes until the turnips are tender and the stock has reduced and is looking attractively sticky.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and place a bamboo steamer basket over it.
- In the basket place the Chinese sausages and steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove them from the heat, and slice thinly. In a frying pan heat the oil and fry the sausages until fragrant, add the turnip leaves and sprinkle with the black sesame seeds.
- Continue to cook until the leaves are wilted, then add all this into the turnips and stir through, shaking the pan gently as you do.
- Adjust the seasoning and serve.