( SERVES 4 )
There is an indefinable something in this salad that can potentially lead to disappointment once it is all eaten. It's as if you want the lingering smoky flavours of the eel, mixed with the textures of the celeriac, to go on forever.
- Peel the celeriac, slice off either end and cut in half lengthways.
- Lie each half on a chopping board and slice into thin slices. Lie 4 or 5 slices on top of each other at a time and cut into thin matchsticks.
- Place the celeriac matchsticks in a bowl and sprinkle the slices with sea salt and squeeze lemon juice over them.
- Stir in the mayonnaise and the mustard and check the seasoning.
- Gently fold in the chopped smoked eel and chives and spoon the salad onto individual serving plates.