Udon Noodles with Spiced Sausage, Spinach, Enokitake Mushrooms and Lemon
( SERVES 2 )
If you have a packet of noodles in the cupboard, a satisfying meal isn't far away. I use Chorizo sausages for the thermal lift they bring. I found the golden straw mushrooms, known as enokitake, at my supermarket, but a handful of thinly sliced button mushrooms will work just as well. Use your instincts to help you decide what to include in the soup.
- Put 300ml dashi base into a saucepan with the soy and sake, then bring to a gentle simmer.
- Put the noodles into a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 4 minutes, then drain.
- While the broth simmers, slice the sausage thinly, then add to the saucepan with the drained noodles.
- Shred the spinach leaves, then add to the broth. Trim and discard the ends off the enokitake mushrooms, then break the long mushroom stalks into the broth.
- Add the lemon peel. Simmer for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to deepen.
- Divide the vegetables and meat between 2 deep soup bowls, then fill with the broth. Add a piece of peel to each bowl and serve.