Cheese and eggplant 'sandwiches'
- Peel the aubergine and slice 1/2cm thick. Place on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and leave for half an hour.
- Pat dry with paper towels, brush with olive oil, then grill until golden-brown, turning once.
- Mix the grated parmesan, grated goats milk feta, diced pancetta and most of the chopped parsley together and press some of the mixture onto half of the aubergine discs.
- Press remaining discs on top to make a "sandwich".
- Meanwhile, heat enough vegetable oil in a pan to come 1-2cm up the sides. Lightly beat the eggs with a fork and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Spread the breadcrumbs on a plate.
- Carefully dip each "sandwich" in the beaten egg, then press into the breadcrumbs.
- Cook in the oil until golden-brown, then drain on paper towels and keep warm. Pat with paper towels to blot up excess oil.
- If you are serving the "sandwiches" as finger food, season, cut into quarters and serve with paper towels.
- Otherwise, arrange on warmed plates and serve with a little more salt and pepper and remaining parsley.