Crisp fried potato, avocado, and beetroot salad with ajoblanco sauce
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
For the salad
|100 ml||White wine vinegar|
|1 Tbsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 to taste||Freshly ground black pepper|
|500 g||Baby potatoes, sliced, 0.5cm thick|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2 Tbsp||Roasted almonds, sliced|
|1 to taste||Salt|
|1 to garnish||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 g||Fresh herbs|
- Prepare the beetroot by simmering in a mixture of the water, sugar and white vinegar for 1 hour.
- Once cooked, cool the beetroot and trim, peel and slice thinly. Dress with balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Heat a heavy sauté pan and pan-fry the potatoes with oil and salt over a low heat. Add the garlic cloves.
- Keep on the heat until the potatoes are cooked through and crispy. Add and mix in the sage leaves.
- Place the sliced beetroot on four dinner plates with the potatoes on top. Slice the avocado and arrange around the dish.
- Finally, spoon the ajoblanco sauce over and garnish with roasted almonds and radish sprouts.
- Toast the blanched almonds lightly in a hot oven to bring out the oils.
- Bring the almonds and milk to a boil in a saucepan, then allow to cool.
- When cool, use a stick blender to combine with the garlic and bread to make a fine, glossy sauce.
- Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar and blend again. Add salt to taste.
- Put through a fine strainer and reserve.