Asparagus salad with soft boiled egg dressing
( SERVES 8 )
This mayonnaise-based recipe is a variation on the classic pairing of asparagus served with a poached egg. With its selection of fresh herbs, the dressing is the perfect accompaniment for asparagus. Serve either as a simple entrée or as a dip on a platter so that guests can dip the emerald-green spears into it. The dressing will keep for 10 days in the fridge and may also be used with salad leaves or as a sandwich filling.
|9||Eggs, 4 yolks, 5 soft boiled for 4 minutes and cooled and peeled|
|1 Tbsp||Wholegrain mustard|
|2 Tbsp||White wine vinegar|
|2 Tbsp||Tarragon, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Chives, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Chervil, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|500 ml||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|30||Asparagus, plump spears, peeled and trimmed|
- In a food processor combine the yolks, mustard, vinegar and herbs. Blend for 3 minutes before slowly pouring in the olive oil in a thin stream to make a rich mayonnaise.
- Roughly chop the soft-boiled eggs and fold through the mayonnaise. Add the juice from 1 lemon, then the sugar, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing into a jar and refrigerate.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil and add the asparagus.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, drain and wrap in a wet tea towel until ready to serve.
- Place the asparagus on a serving platter, squeeze over a little lemon juice, season with sea salt and black pepper and serve with the dressing on the side.