Baked kingfish steaks with olives
- Wash the fish steaks (kingfish, hapuku or other firm-fleshed species) and pat them dry with paper towels. Spread flour in a shallow dish and season, then press the steaks into it, shaking off any excess.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan and cook the steaks until they are lightly golden. Remove and keep warm.
- Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and cook the finely chopped onion until it is translucent, then add the garlic (peeled and chopped), stirring for 30 seconds or so.
- Add the wine, stir, and allow to reduce slightly, then the tin of tomatoes, chopping them roughly in the pan. Stir in olives, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Squeeze the cut lemon into the mixture and check the seasoning.
- Place the fish steaks back in the sauce and continue to simmer for a minute or two, until they are just cooked through. Serve on warm plates and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.