Roast beetroot with vodka potato salad
( SERVES 4 )
Serve this salad as an individual starter or on one big platter to accompany meat or fish.
|2||Beetroot, large, keep some of the leaves to garnish|
|1 sprig||Fresh thyme|
|3 cloves||Garlic, unpeeled and crushed|
|1 tsp||Black peppercorns|
|100 ml||Sherry vinegar|
|2 Tbsp||Sour cream|
|2||Agria potatoes, large|
|1 Tbsp||Chives, chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh parsley, chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh dill|
|2 Tbsp||Mustard seeds|
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Place the beetroot in a small roasting dish with the thyme, garlic, peppercorns, vinegar and about a cup of water, then roast for about 45 minutes.
- Once the beetroot are cooked and while they are still warm, remove the skin by ruffling them with your hands and a knife. Wearing gloves is strongly advised.
- Keep the pan juices to dress the beetroot when serving.
- Peel the potatoes, cut into 2cm dice, then simmer in salted water until just cooked. Strain and allow to cool. Mix with the sour cream and herbs.
- In a small bowl, combine the mustard seeds and vodka, then set aside. When the mustard seeds have rehydrated slightly, add to the potato mixture with the leftover vodka. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice the beetroot as thinly as possible onto a serving plate, and dress with the juices. Try to be precise: wherever you put the beetroot it must stay, otherwise you’ll be forever wiping the plate.
- Place the potato salad on top of the beetroot and garnish with red chard or beetroot leaves.