Marinated kingfish with ponzu, salmon caviar and shiitake mushrooms
Use fresh kingfish for this recipe, which has a distinctly Japanese flavour. The dashi, yuzu, mirin and rice wine vinegar are available from Japanese grocery stores. Chill the serving plates well.
|3 Tbsp||Dashi stock|
|3 Tbsp||Light soy sauce|
|1 Tbsp||Lemon juice, or use yuzu juice if you can find it for it's special flavour|
|1 Tbsp||Rice wine vinegar|
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients. Refrigerate.
- Heat a chargrill or pan until very hot. Meanwhile, season and brush the fish with oil.
- Sear the fish for no longer than a few seconds on each side – the edges will be faintly cooked. Immediately plunge into ice-cold water.
- Chill the fish before slicing into 5mm-thick slices and placing on a serving plate. Allow 4-5 slices per person.
- Pan-fry the shiitake in the sesame oil for about 1 minute, then set aside on paper towels to drain.
- Pour the dressing on the fish, add a little salt to taste and place a few mushrooms on top with the coriander cress, caviar and sesame seeds.