( SERVES 4 )
Make your eggplant pickle in advance then this will be a very easy meal to put together in no time.
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|150 g||Fillet steaks, 4 scotch fillet steaks, each about 2.5cm thick.|
|1 loaf||Sourdough bread, cut into 8 thick slices|
|8||Lettuce leaves, washed and dried|
- Rub half the olive oil into the steaks and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan or barbecue grill over a high heat. Cook the steaks for 4-5 minutes, turning once. Remove steaks to a plate, loosely cover and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Brush remaining olive oil over the bread slices and chargrill on the barbecue, or you could toast the bread slices or pan-fry until lightly golden and slightly crispy on both sides.
- To assemble, spread the toasted bread slices with mayonnaise. Top 4 bread slices with lettuce, the cooked steaks, eggplant pickle and top with the remaining bread slices.
- Heat a chargrill pan or your barbecue to a medium-high heat.
- Cut the eggplant into 1cm thick slices, then cut the slice in half. Brush slices with about ¼ cup of the measured oil.
- Grill eggplant slices until soft, for about 5 minutes, turning once. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool a little.
- Scatter over the garlic and chopped herbs. Mix the balsamic vinegar with the remaining oil and pour over. Season to taste and leave to cool.
- Pack the cooled eggplant into a sterilised jar and seal. Can be eaten straight away or keep in the refrigerator for a few weeks.