Fried new potatoes with bacon and preserved lemon
Late spring brings a bounty of new-season produce, including tasty potatoes. The combination of bacon, lemon and capers makes a change from buttery steamed potatoes. It’s a perfect dish to serve with fish.
- Scrub the potatoes gently so their skins are not removed entirely. Wash under cold water. Cut each potato into quarters lengthwise.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the potatoes and simmer for 7 minutes. Drain and pat the potatoes dry.
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy frying pan, then once the butter starts sizzling, add the potatoes and cook gently over a low heat.
- After 10-15 minutes and as they start to crisp, add the bacon and preserved lemon and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- The bacon should become crisp and the potatoes golden.
- Finally, add the capers and parsley and toss well. Grind over some black pepper and serve.