Fresh asparagus rolls
( MAKES 20 )
Make the most of the short asparagus season.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Trim and peel the ends of the asparagus stalks, then plunge the spears into the boiling water.
- Simmer for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat and drain under cold running water so the asparagus cools rapidly and remains bright green.
- Using a sharp knife, cut all the crusts off the bread slices, ensuring there are clean edges. Spread each slice generously with mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle plenty of salt and pepper over the mayonnaise. Grate the zest over the top and place an asparagus spear in the centre of each slice. Roll up each slice around the asparagus.
- To finish, place the rolls on a sandwich plate. For a bite-sized roll, cut each one in half.