Greek pumpkin and rice tart
( SERVES 6 )
Pumpkin and feta works so well together. If you need to make a trip to the store for the dill, substitute it with whatever you have in your garden – thyme or sage works best.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC. Brush oil around an ovenproof 30cm frying pan. Place bacon in the pan, overlapping and covering the base and sides.
- Combine the spring onions, dill, rice and eggs. Mix well and season. Add half the feta and stir.
- Pour the egg mixture into the bacon-lined pan. Cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Toss the pumpkin with oil and place all over the top of tart. Crumble over the remaining feta. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Turn oven to grill setting and cook for a further 5 to 10 minutes, or until the pumpkin and feta are golden. Allow to cool before cutting. Serve with a green salad.
Cook's tip: The advantage of using bacon as a base to this tart instead of pastry is the rich savoury flavour the meat gives. This also provides a gluten-free option, but if this is not an issue, you can use a pastry base.