( SERVES 6 )
Don’t even attempt to make this with beef mince. Ask your butcher for good quality stewing cuts or take the time to cut the meat yourself with a knife.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the vegetables, garlic and sage. Sweat and cook without colouring, stirring.
- Add the diced beef and cook for 4 minutes before adding the sieved tomato. Cook a further 5 minutes.
- Add the wine and turn up the heat. Allow the mixture to bubble and the wine volume to reduce by half. Add the stock and cover with a lid.
- Gently simmer and cook for around 1 hour until the meat is tender. It should have formed a lovely thick and rich sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and milled pepper.
- To serve, sprinkle with chopped oregano or parsley, lemon zest and parmesan if available.