Warm hazelnut and cocoa biscotti
( SERVES 10 )
Here is another good example of the need to invest in scales for home baking.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Mix the flour, sugar, vanilla seeds and hazelnuts together in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the eggs and butter together until pale and fluffy, then add to the flour mixture, mixing to form a dough. Shape the dough into a ball.
- Flour a work surface with the flour and icing sugar mixture. Turn the dough out onto the work surface. Halve it and roll each half into a 24cm long rectangle, about 1cm thick.
- Place the rectangles of dough onto a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 10 to 15 minutes, then cut 1/2 cm-thick biscuits out from each sheet with a knife.
- Lay sliced biscuits flat on a baking tray and return them to the oven to bake for 15 more minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 30 minutes, before dusting with icing sugar.