Pumpkin and sage risotto
( SERVES 4 )
Risotto can only be made with a rice grown specifically for the purpose – look out for packets of Arborio.
|2 cups||Pumpkin, peeled and diced|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh rosemary, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Fresh sage, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Unsalted butter|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|½ cup||Onion, diced|
|1½ cups||Risotto rice|
|½ cup||White wine|
|5 cups||Chicken stock, or vegetable stock (hot)|
|½ cup||Parmesan cheese, grated|
|3 drops||Lemon juice|
|½ cup||Feta cheese, crumbled|
|1 handful||Fresh sage, to serve|
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add pumpkin, garlic, rosemary, sage, 1/4 teaspoon salt and some pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes over a medium heat until the pumpkin is tender. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt half the butter. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice, stir to coat with the butter. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until absorbed.
- Pour 1 cup of the hot stock into the rice and stir with a wooden spoon until absorbed.
- Continue adding the rest of the stock 1 cup at a time, letting each addition be absorbed completely before adding more liquid.
- When half the stock has been used, about 10 to 12 minutes, add the pumpkin.
- Finish adding the remaining stock, ½ cup at a time, until all the rice is cooked.
- To finish, stir the remaining butter and parmesan.
- Season with a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper, and decorate the top with crumbled feta cheese.