( MAKES 20 biscuits )
Better than giving away sweets – try these homemade biscuits. Ice with a tube of black icing or fondant gel to make them even scarier.
- Line a tray with a baking mat or paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and all the spices into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and sugar. Using the paddle attachment, mix the ingredients together until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- When all the butter is evenly mixed in, add the treacle and lemon juice. Bring the mixture together on slow speed to form a soft dough, combining lightly until it has an even colour. Mould into a slab and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 170C. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough 5mm thick. Use your chosen cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Place on to the baking sheet, sprinkle with caster sugar and bake for 15 minutes until crisp.
- When cool, decorate with black icing.