Boiled egg with swiss cheese and bacon soldiers
As a child we all enjoyed dipping our toasted “soldiers” into eggs. Here is a light, nutritious meal that will satisfy the adults as well as children. If you can’t find Swiss cheese, simply replace with grated cheddar.
- Thinly slice the washed leek, discard the core and the end part of the dark green leaves.
- Heat the olive oil and water in a saucepan. Add the sliced leeks and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook over a medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes until properly wilted. Drain off the excess water and cool.
- When ready to serve, cut the rashers of bacon in half and grill or pan fry until crispy.
- Mix the cooled leek togetherwith the grated cheese and lightly beaten egg. Divide the mixture into four and thickly spread onto each piece of toast. Cut each in half, then toast under a moderately hot grill until lightly golden. Top each “soldier” with grilled bacon.
- Serve with boiled eggs to your liking, a little sea salt and milled pepper.