Scotch eggs with spiced fresh tomato and lemon salsa
This salsa has tomato sauce and a fresh tomato – it may look and sound too intense, but it’s really amazing with these delicious traditional eggs!
|2 tsp||Sage, dried|
|½ cup||Breadcrumbs, dry|
|4 Tbsp||Parmesan cheese, grated|
|1||Lemon, zest only|
|500 g||Sausage meat|
|1||Oil, for deep frying|
- To make the salsa, simply stir all the ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Mix the sausage meat with the lemon zest, dried sage and parmesan cheese.
- Divide into six portions and flatten like thin burgers.
- Lightly dust the eggs with flour. Coat each one with sausage meat, pressing and moulding on well.
- Dip each sausage meatcoated egg in beaten egg and roll in breadcrumbs. Repeat this process to double coat each egg.
- Chill for at least an hour. Pour 4 to 5cm of oil into a deep frying pan and heat.
- Deep-fry the eggs in hot oil until golden brown on each side, about 7 to 8 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels. Cool and chill for up to two days if preparing in advance.
- Serve at room temperature with the salsa and a crisp green salad.