Asparagus with garam masala, chilli, air-dried ham and poached egg
This dish is from the French-German border region of Alsace. We have given it a flavour update with the addition of a little garam masala and chilli when cooking the asparagus, which is just delicious!
- Wash and trim the asparagus spears. Remove the woody parts from the bottom of the stalks.
- Pour enough water, about 1cm deep, into the bottom of a saucepan.
- Add the butter, garam masala, garlic and chilli, and bring to a quick simmer.
- Add the asparagus, season with salt and pepper, cover with a lid and cook until spears are tender.
- To serve, place thinly sliced ham onto four plates. Divide the asparagus between them and spoon one or two tablespoons of the cooking juices over top.
- Add the poached egg and parmesan cheese for a little extra flavour.