Martha's vineyard casserole
( SERVES 8 )
This recipe makes a large casserole – perfect for entertaining. A friend made it for me one summer at Martha’s Vineyard on the East Coast of the US. Ever since it has been a firm favourite of mine. Serve with a mixed green salad.
|250 g||Sour cream|
|375 g||Pasta shapes|
|1 bunch||Spring onion|
|125 g||Cream cheese|
|1 handful||Parsley, chopped|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
|1 cup||Cheddar cheese, grated|
- Cook the pasta according to the packet directions in a large pot. Drain and add the sour cream and cream cheese to the pasta.
- Leave for a few minutes and then gently stir through. Add the spring onions and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC. In a large, greased 3L casserole dish put a layer of pasta. Top with meat sauce(6-8 cups) and repeat. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top to finish.
- Bake for 40 minutes. If you make the casserole the day before and keep it in the fridge, you will need to heat it for longer – allow 60 minutes.
- It is delicious made the day before – the avours are enhanced with resting. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meat Sauce: Cook all ingredients slowly for 20 to 30 minutes. If it gets too dry, add a little more wine, water or beef stock, but the meat sauce should not be too sloppy. You can also cook 700g of mince with a jar of commercial tomato pasta sauce if you prefer.