Simple poached chicken
One chicken, so many options – this stock pot is versatile and fulfilling.
- Place the chicken in a large pot.
- Add as many or as few of these ingredients as you have on hand (except salt).
- Cover with cold water and bring to a simmer. Add salt, cover and gently simmer for 60 minutes.
- The stock can be reduced down further to create a sauce and frozen to use later on.
- In its current form, the stock can be used for soup. Check the seasoning – any further cooking or reducing will intensify the flavour.
- Poached chicken makes the perfect filling for a sandwich with a little mayonnaise and fresh tarragon or basil.
- Use the shredded chicken to top nachos or baked potatoes. You could also fill a quesadilla with the chicken, along with some spinach and feta.
- Who doesn’t love chicken salad? Try salad greens, cooked bacon, avocado and pawpaw, topped with a herb dressing.
- This cooked chicken can be used in an omelette, added to a soup, a pasta dish at the last minute or even a stir-fry.