Chocolate tres leches cake
Known in Latin countries as Three Milks Cake, this delicately luxurious “self-saucing” cake can be made the day before or two hours ahead of the family arriving...
- Preheat oven to 160C and grease a 28 x 18cm baking dish.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat eggs until they have thickened and lightened in colour. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until eggs have tripled in volume.
- Sift together flour, mixed spice and cocoa. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture, taking care not to deflate the egg mixture. Pour cake mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Set baking dish on a wire rack to cool. Using a skewer, pierce the top of the cake all over.
- In a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat, stir together evaporated milk, condensed milk and cup of cream.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in chocolate until it is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in crème de cacao or rum. Pour milk mixture over cake. Cover and refrigerate until liquid is completely absorbed – at least two hours.
- When ready to serve, reheat in the oven at 160C for 10 to 15 minutes until warm. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream and a grating of fresh orange zest.