Chocolate tres leches cake
( SERVES 8 )
Known in Latin countries as Three Milks Cake, this delicately luxurious “self-saucing” cake can be made the day before or two hours ahead of the family arriving...
- Preheat oven to 160 degC and grease a 28 x 18cm baking dish.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat eggs until they have thickened and lightened in colour.
- Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until eggs have tripled in volume.
- Sift together flour, mixed spice and cocoa. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture, taking care not to deflate the egg mixture.
- Pour cake mixture into the prepared baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Set baking dish on a wire rack to cool. Using a skewer, pierce the top of the cake all over.
- In a medium saucepan over a medium-high heat, stir together evaporated milk, condensed milk and cream.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat and stir in chocolate until it is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir in crème de cacao or rum.
- Pour milk mixture over cake. Cover and refrigerate until liquid is completely absorbed – at least two hours.
- When ready to serve, reheat in the oven at 160 degC for 10 to 15 minutes until warm.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream and a grating of fresh orange zest.