Moorish chicken baked in almond sauce
The flavours of this dish are bold and tasty - I have a thing for yummy Moorish flavours.
|1 to taste||Red onion, small, peeled|
|1||Red pepper, seeds removed|
|3 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|½ cup||Dry sherry|
|¼ tsp||Saffron threads, infused in 1/4 cup of boiling water|
|1 can||Chopped tomatoes|
|1 Tbsp||Thyme leaves|
|1 cup||Blanched almonds, lightly toasted and roughly ground|
- Preheat oven to 180C. Joint the chicken legs by separating drumsticks from thighs.
- Season with salt and pepper and place in an oven pan.
- Cut onions into wedges and slice pepper in thin strips.
- Heat a large frying pan, add oil, onions and pepper strips and cook for five minutes, tossing frequently over a medium heat.
- Add sherry and simmer to reduce by half. Add saffron and liquid and tomatoes. Stir in almonds to thicken sauce and bring to the boil.
- Pour sauce over chicken and bake for 1 hour, or until chicken tests cooked (the juices will run clear when a knife is inserted to the bone into the thickest part of the meat).
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper before serving scattered with fresh thyme.