Rice, spinach and feta cheese
Don’t be fooled by the name of this dish – it should be called “heaven in a bowl”.
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|1||Large onion, chopped|
|3 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|1½ cups||Long grain rice, white|
|2 cups||Vegetable stock|
|½ cup||Dry white wine|
|2 cups||Spinach leaves, fresh, sliced|
|400 g||Tomatoes, in juice , chopped or 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes|
|1 cup||Feta, crumbled|
|1 to taste||Salt & freshly ground pepper|
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and garlic and fry gently until tender.
- Add the uncooked rice. Stir and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and wine. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low heat. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until tender. Mix in the spinach. Cover and cook for a further 5 to 8 minutes until the rice and spinach are tender and the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
- Mix in the tomatoes and cheese, before cooking for a further 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
Cook's tip: Add fresh herbs, such as parsley or basil, to these dishes just before serving.