Pasta with brown butter and breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and salt generously.
- Add the pasta and cook for the time recommended on the packet (10-12 minutes).
- Towards the end of the cooking time, place the butter and breadcrumbs (if not japanese style ensure they are coarse) in a heavy frying pan and cook, stirring continuously and watching carefully, until the butter and crumbs turn light brown.
- Remove from the heat immediately, because they will continue to cook and darken a little in the residual heat, particularly if the frying pan is cast iron.
- Drain the pasta and toss in the butter and crumbs.
- Distribute among four warm bowls and, at the last minute before serving, tear the basil leaves into small pieces and scatter on top.