Classic shortbread and jam sandwiches
- Preheat oven to 180C. Place the butter, icing sugar, both flours and vanilla in a food processor and process until the dough just comes together.
- Using the back of a spoon, press the dough into a lightly greased 20cm x 30cm tin lined with baking paper.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Use a knife to score the dough into 20 rectangles and prick with a fork.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar and slice to serve.
- Make the classic shortbread dough and roll out between sheets of non-stick baking paper to 5mm thick.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Use a 7cm-round cutter to cut 20 rounds from the dough.
- Place on trays lined with baking paper and use a 5cm star-shaped cutter to cut stars from the centre of 10 rounds.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to racks to cool. Spread the plain rounds with jam and sandwich with the star rounds.