Chicken and rocket club sandwiches
|1½ cups||Chicken, cooked, finely diced|
|285 ml||Mayonnaise, (1 cup + 2 tbsp + 1 tsp)|
|1 Tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|3 Tbsp||Celery, finely chopped|
|3 Tbsp||Spring onions, finely sliced|
|3 Tbsp||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley, finely chopped|
|12 slices||White bread|
|¼ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper, plus extra to taste|
|½ tsp||Flaky sea salt, plus extra to taste|
|6 slices||Wholemeal sandwich bread|
|200 g||Butter, softened|
|24 leaves||Rocket, washed and dried|
- Place chicken, 3 tbsp mayonnaise, mustard, celery, parsley, spring onions, salt and pepper in a small bowl and gently combine. Check for seasoning.
- On a clean work surface, place all bread slices in 3 rows of 6 with brown bread in the middle row. Butter all slices, then spread with mayonnaise.
- Generously spread first row of white bread slices with chicken mixture. Season with salt and pepper and cover each with a slice of brown bread, buttered side down.
- Butter top of brown bread and spread with mayonnaise. Cover with rocket (do not add seasoning) and top each slice with a slice of white bread. Using an electric knife, remove all crusts then cut each sandwich into 4 squares or triangles. Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight in a plastic container lined with waxed paper.
- If layering sandwiches in a container, place waxed paper between each layer and on top of sandwiches, then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving, keep covered and bring to room temperature. Arrange on a platter just before you serve and skewer with decorative toothpicks, if you wish. Make sure the toothpicks go all the way through the sandwiches.