( SERVES 4 )
A fresh salsa makes a simple accompaniment to grilled meats and vegetables. You can also use it to top salad leaves and you have your salad components and dressing in one go.
- Skin and dice the avocado and cover with the lemon juice in a bowl.
- Remove the seeds and pulp from the tomatoes but leave the skin on. Dice and add to the avocado.
- Finely dice the red onion and add to the bowl.
- Slice as much red chilli as you favour, remove the seeds for a less fiery result.
- Rip the fresh herb leaves into the mix.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Mix in the olive oil through and serve in a jar or dish.
- Make a bed of crisp lettuce. Cos or iceberg stand up longer in the outdoors than the softer varieties.
- Allow your guests to pile the salsa onto their salad leaves.
Hint: You want the avocado to be soft, but over-ripe fruit will turn to mush in the mix and go a nasty brown.