New York meatloaf
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Tamara West
This simple recipe is a winner as the smell in the kitchen when it is cooking verifies. Use any remaining meatloaf in sandwiches tomorrow.
|10 g||Dried porcini mushrooms|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|2||Garlic cloves, finely chopped|
|350 g||Button mushrooms, roughly chopped|
|¾ cup||Breadcrumbs, fresh and coarse|
|½ cup||Chicken stock|
|750 g||Beef mince, use premium beef mince|
|½ cup||Chopped parsley|
|2 tsp||Thyme leaves, picked|
|2 Tbsp||Dijon mustard|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste|
|2 tsp||Peanut oil|
|1 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
|3||Kaffir lime leaves, gently crushed|
|¾ cup||Sugar-free crunchy peanut butter|
|¾ cup||Coconut milk|
|1||Lemon, juiced, or can use lime|
|1||Salt, or fish sauce for seasoning|
- Heat the oven to 170C. Line a 21cm x 10cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- Cover the porcini mushrooms with warm water and set aside to soak for 10 minutes. Drain and chop.
- Melt 1 Tbsp of the olive oil and 25g of the butter in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft, but not coloured, about 10 minutes. Tip out onto a plate and set aside to cool.
- Melt the remaining oil and butter in the frying pan. Add the chopped fresh and porcini mushrooms and cook over a medium heat until all the liquid has evaporated, about 8-10 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, soak the breadcrumbs in the stock to moisten them.
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, eggs, herbs, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper breadcrumbs and the cooled onions and mushrooms. Mix well to combine.
- Spoon into the loaf tin, pressing down as you go. Cover with baking paper and tinfoil and place in the oven. Cook for 1 ½ hours or if you insert a skewer into the centre of the meatloaf, the juices should run clear.
- Serve hot with new potatoes, salad and chutney. A slice of buttered bread is good too.