Broad bean and asparagus salad
Toss the broad beans, asparagus and mint with the vinaigrette just before serving so you keep the vibrant colour of the spring vegetables. Alternatively, cook the asparagus on a barbecue grill until lightly charred and bite-tender. Perfect as a vegetable salad with lamb cutlets and new season's potatoes.
- Pod the broad beans and place in a saucepan of boiling salted water.
- Boil rapidly for 2 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water.
- Remove the outer grey skin and discard, leaving only the bright green beans.
- Remove and discard the woody ends of the asparagus spears.
- Cut the spears in half crosswise and blanch in boiling salted water for 2 minutes, or until just tender.
- Place the broad beans and asparagus on paper towels to drain well.
- Whisk the mustard, oil and vinegar together and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the leaves from the mint sprigs and slice finely.
- Toss the broad beans, asparagus and mint together, moisten with the vinaigrette and serve at room temperature.