Nigel's delightful trifle
- Put the blackcurrants, water and sugar into a stainless-steel bowl.
- Put them over a low to moderate heat and leave to simmer for 7-10 minutes until they are starting to burst.
- Once there is plenty of purple juice, remove from the heat.
- Break the sponge into small pieces and push it into the bottom of a large serving bowl.
- Spoon the hot blackcurrants and juice over the sponge and leave to cool.
- Put the egg yolk and sugar into a bowl and mix well, then stir in the mascarpone and vanilla.
- Whip the cream until it is thick enough to lie in soft folds, then lightly fold it into the mascarpone.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg white until it is almost stiff, then fold it into the mixture.
- Spoon the mascarpone cream over the cool blackcurrants and sponge. You can smooth it flat or leave it in deep folds.
- Refrigerate for a good hour before serving. Decorate with fresh blackcurrants.