Almond meringue shortbread
This dainty meringue-topped shortbread is perfect to serve with tea, coffee or whisky on any festive occasion.
- To make the base, put all the ingredients into a bowl and knead with your hands until smooth. Or whiz in a processor until crumbly, then tip out and knead until smooth. Roll out to a thickness of 5-6mm in a rectangle approx 30 x 35cm.
- To make the topping, use a wooden spoon to beat the icing sugar, egg white and lemon juice until smooth and thick. Spread evenly over the base. Sprinkle with the almonds and leave for 1 hour to allow the topping to set.
- Preheat the oven to 170C (preferably fan-bake). Use a sharp knife to cut the dough into oblongs.
- Line 2 oven trays with baking paper, then use a palette knife to lift each piece on to a tray. Leave room for spreading.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the topping is glossy beige, the almonds toasted and the base golden brown. Cool the biscuits on a rack and store in an airtight container.