Sure to go sandwiches
The egg sandwiches are always the first to be finished when the Governor-General serves afternoon tea.
Double egg club sandwiches mayonnaise
|1||Egg, yolk, at room temperature|
|½ tsp||White wine vinegar|
|1 pinch||White pepper|
|½ tsp||Mustard powder|
|150 ml||Canola oil|
|2 tsp||Water, boiling|
Double egg club sandwiches filling
|1||Salt, and white pepper|
|8||Free-range eggs, hardboiled|
|1||Chives, sniped, or chopped parsley|
|1 to spread||Butter, very soft|
|12 slices||White bread, or wholemeal bread|
Mock crab sandwiches
DOUBLE EGG CLUB SANDWICHES
- To make the mayonnaise, put the egg yolk into a medium bowl that has been warmed by rinsing in hot water then dried.
- Add the vinegar, salt, pepper and mustard. Whisk to mix.
- Whisking all the time, add the oil, first a drop at a time, then increasing the rate of flow when the mayonnaise begins to form an emulsion.
- When all the oil is added, whisk in the hot water to soften the mixture. Use an egg slicer or sharp knife to slice the eggs.
- Then cut the slices to make small chunky pieces. Put the eggs into a bowl and season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add enough mayonnaise to bind them into a moist mixture. Add the herbs. Check the seasoning. Spread the bread lightly with soft butter.
- Spread half the filling on 4 slices. Cover with 4 slices of bread, butter the tops and spread the remaining filling over the top.
- Top with the remaining 4 slices. Wrap in plastic wrap and put into the fridge for an hour to allow the filling to set.
- Trim the sandwiches one at a time, using a sharp serrated or electric knife to remove the crusts, then cut each one into 4 triangles.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a clean, damp cloth until serving time.
MOCK CRAB SANDWICHES
- Combine the egg, cheese and tomato and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the lemon juice, Tabasco and enough mayonnaise to make a moist filling.
- Spread the filling on 2 slices of buttered bread and top with the remaining slices.
- Cut off the crusts and cut each sandwich into 4 triangles.