Quick apricot chicken casserole
Apricots go really well with chicken, adding a kind of sweet and sour flavour. This is one of my quick go-to dinners — it uses ingredients you usually have in the pantry and is quick and easy. It freezes and re-heats well too, handy for those nights where you can’t be bothered cooking but still want something nourishing.
|1||Chicken, whole cut into pieces or 8 chicken thighs or drumsticks|
|2 cloves||Garlic, chopped|
|3 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|1 Tbsp||Sweet chilli sauce|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh thyme, chopped or ½ tsp dried herbs|
|1 can||Crushed tomatoes|
|8||Apricots, fresh, halved, or a 400g can of apricot halves|
|1 tsp||Chicken stock, powder|
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or saucepan and brown chicken pieces for 2-3 minutes on both sides until lightly browned. Set chicken aside.
- Drizzle a little more oil into the same pan and fry onion and garlic until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan, along with the tomato paste, sweet chilli sauce, herbs, tomatoes, apricots, water and stock powder.
- Roughly break up the apricots with a wooden spoon. Stir all ingredients together and partially cover with a lid.
- Simmer on medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Serve hot with rice, couscous or mash, and greens.